Sunday, August 23, 2009

Why a blog for CFA ?

When I started preparing for CFA, I was looking for some guidance and information about this exam, the CFA designation and its utility in pursuing a finance career. All I got were some vague notions and half cooked truths. I gave my CFA L1 exam in June 2009 and cleared it. After going through this arduous process I decided to start a blog on this topic so that people could make some informed decisions regarding pursuing CFA. 80% of people don’t clear all three levels of CFA after 5 years from enrolling in CFA L1. Needless to say a lot of people waste a lot of their time and money on it. I just want to give you a feel of the overall process so as to aid in your decisions. My other objective is to clear the misconceptions and unwanted hype surrounded around this exam (especially in India).This blog will also contain my views on MBA, Masters in Finance and Masters in Financial Engineering programs. In nutshell it is a career guide for a newbie in finance.

3 comments:

Zero said...

One point would be that whilst not all people finish it, that does not meant they wasted their "time and money" on it. They may have learned information in the process that they otherwise would not have been driven to learn.

CFA Enthusiast said...

Gaining knowledge is hardly the primary reasons for pursuing CFA, its more like the by product.
CFA is pursue to create a brand or an entry point credential into finance.Fsiling CFA hinders both.

Knowledge can pursued by other less painful ways like doing a part time/full time masters.You can say its expensive but you also need to remember that you get CFA only after you have 4 years of investment experience and the whole process and hence the reaping of benefits might take 6 years.

Unknown said...

From what perspective are you writing this blog? You say you've cleared level I. Does that mean you plan to take level II in 2010? What work experience, if any, do you have at this point? I ask because I'm hoping to sit in June 2010 and am jst graduating with my MBA. If you've been int he industry for a while your opinion might be different than mine.

Post a Comment